BBQTalk.ca

THE BEST IN BBQ

Pork Butt and Brisket in Ottawa

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all topics including vending, catering, equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Postby Grillman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Looking to find a good place to get a pork butt and brisket for my WSM. Any recommendations?
Grillman
Gofor

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Pork Butt and Brisket in Ottawa

Postby doogster » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 pm

I just go to good ole Costco for meat, they have both types you're looking for here anyway. Butt is sold as shoulder here.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.
doogster
Chicken Choker

Postby SmokeNVoodoo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:38 pm

I got my big 10lb Pork Butt at Lavergne Western Beef Inc. 3971 Navan Road, Navan 613-824-8175. Excellent butcher and service.

BR
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo
SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Postby SmokinQ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:12 pm

doogster wrote:I just go to good ole Costco for meat, they have both types you're looking for here anyway. Butt is sold as shoulder here.

Costco here in Canada does not sell these cuts of meat.
SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Postby SmokinQ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Levergne is good in the east end and if you are in the west end the Buthery in Bells Corners is also good. Dunrobin Meats inthe far west end can get you the things you are looking for as well.

What part of Ottawa are you in?
SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Postby roastntoast » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:39 pm

I asked at Costco on the weekend and the butcher ssaid they only carry Brisket in the fall and Winter and only the flats.

Jules
roastntoast
Rib Rubber

Postby doogster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

You guys have got to be kidding me. Costco has just about everything down here, Tri tips, the big beef roast (don't recall what that's called), spares, baby backs, loins (pork and beef), beef ribs, brisket (got one in the freezer right now). Not horribly expensive. Baby backs were 14 bucks for 2 racks, for example.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.
doogster
Chicken Choker

Postby Trev » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:07 pm

My local Costco has a pretty good meat department, but there are several cuts that just aren't very popular around here. Brisket is one of them. Sure it's popular with us here at BBQ Talk, but the average person around these parts wouldn't know how to cook one. This aint Texas. Tri-tip is the same; the average person wouldn't even know what a tri-tip was let alone how to cook it. Costco has good spares, baby backs, roasts of all kinds, fish, chickes, etc, etc, but some stuff is better off coming from the butcher because of the low demand.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.
Trev
Rib Rubber

Postby Tim Q » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:22 pm

If your ever in the Montreal area, go to the restaurant called "Le Biftheque" on 6705 chemin de la cote-de-liesse. 514-739-6336. www.lebiftheque.com

I recently purchased briskets in the 10lb range at their butcher shop and they turned out great on my WSM.

Happy Smoking!
Tim Q
Tim (BB) Q. 
Montreal, Quebec
SMOKIN UP A STORM!
Tim Q
knows what a "fatty" is

Postby SmokeNVoodoo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:36 pm

A friend of mine is a regional manager of Costco. Essentially, it stocks by demographics. If it don't sell, they don't sell it. It's that simple... unfortunately.

I was just in today, and as mentioned above, they've got lots of popular cuts. Great deal on baby back ribs, for example. No brisket.
Blair

Blair & Wendy
Smoke N' Voodoo
SmokeNVoodoo
Gofor

Postby Grillman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 pm

SmokinQ wrote:Levergne is good in the east end and if you are in the west end the Buthery in Bells Corners is also good. Dunrobin Meats inthe far west end can get you the things you are looking for as well.

What part of Ottawa are you in?

Many thanks to all! I'm out in Barrhaven.

When ordering Brisket and Butts, is there anything I should be asking (e.g. will they trim them up...and do a good job?)
Grillman
Gofor

Postby SmokinQ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 am

I Don't do briskets too often but the good butcher shops do do a good job. If you are just looking for a flat they will separate for you. If you are looking for whole Brisket you can probable just get them whole and trim if you like.

As for butts this is a bit more interesting. Pork shoulders come in two types. You have the Butt portion and the picnic portion. I have gone into grocery stores and ask for butts and they look at me with a strange look. The good butcher shops know what to do. I personally like my butts with the bone in and have the skin and fat trimmed of leaving a thin fat cap. Most shops will want to take the bone out and then wrap with twine. This of course increases the cost of the shoulder. I like the bone in as it is cheaper and feel that it adds flavor. Just ask for bone in when you go in..
SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Postby Eatapedia » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:54 am

Hey Grillman! I'm also in Barrhaven, and I like to take a drive out to Richmond (Fallowfield, westward to the big red strawberry and turn left...watch for police in the town, it is something of a pass-through, and they love to catch speeders). It's maybe a 10 minute drive from the 416.

Christopher's Meat Market is on the main drag and Chris sells some great cuts of meat. I order all my roasts from him and am going to try his ribs this weekend. (I usually get my ribs from Costco, and I prefer the rib steaks at Farm Boy.)

Chris can get pork shoulders in 24 hours if he doesn't stock them and I have happy with every one I've bought from him. I haven't tried his brisket yet, but would love to hear about your experiences if you do! Hands down, he's my favourite butcher. (Nice guy, too!)

Good luck!!

John
Eatapedia
Gofor

Return to Barbecue and Grilling - All Things BBQ